Japanese Mythology

While many who call themselves Jungians interpret and re-interpret ancient myths, what of our current myths?

Re: Japanese Mythology

Postby John Ferric » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Covert,
While I have just become aware of the AKB48. I do tend to look for a Jungian, mythopoetic viewpoint. I will take some time and see how AKB48 resonates with the "Furies," "the Muses," the "Fates." Since AKB48 is a group of females it to other females groups I must look for connetions. Have you tried a post on other Jung oriented forums? Ask over on Useless Science: http://uselessscience.com/forum/
John Ferric
Site Admin

Postby Covert » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:04 pm

John, thank you so much for considering this further. If you could vouchsafe me just one more video, perhaps you could see it better. This is a long performance, in the Tokyo Dome, but just scroll in to 7:00 minutes of it and watch until 11:55 minutes, five minutes in total. Listen to the thunder and watch how the girls leaving the stage in the rain seem to summon us to the underground. Then the most exquisite nymphs skip onto the stage without singing. They just dance like nymphs or furies in a dream and so gracefully, ending in a
Covert

Postby John Ferric » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:00 am

Covert,
I viewed the section of the performance you reccomended. Maybe a few things Jungian are beginning to emerge, maybe not. Also these observations are personal to me and not intended to extend to anyone else.

I have never been a fan of "dance." Ballet, modern dance, and the like seem overated and turn me off. However, having been invited to participate in some Native American ceremonies over the years I am aware of use of dance for sacred, spiritual purposes. For much of human history dance along with other things has been used to express and induce a sense of the sacred. In the first pdf, below, is mentioned the use of dance to induce trance. The second pdf, below, explains the role of dance in sacred practices. This led me to ask could there be a "Dance" archetype? And if there is, how would that square with my reaction to dance mention above? It occurs to me that my reaction is related to, for the want of a better term, the negative pole of the dance archetype. In the case of Native American dance I recall a conversation with an elder at a PowWow. He said "how sad that what we used to do for sacred, spiritual reasons is now done for money and prizes." I extend this reasoning to my reaction to dance today. AKB48 dance for money and fame, not for spiritual or sacred reasons(remember this is my reaction). But I can entertain the idea that my reaction is archetypal, and negative.

Dionysian Mysteries.pdf
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 439 times

Sacred dance.pdf
(581.95 KiB) Downloaded 316 times

Dance does have a place in Jungian therapy. Here is an article from the C. G. Jung page that provides some information about dance therapy: http://www.cgjungpage.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=40
John Ferric
Site Admin

Postby Covert » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Well, thanks for looking at the stuff; it
Covert

Postby John Ferric » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Is your wife an analyst?
John Ferric
Site Admin

Postby Covert » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:05 pm

John Ferric wrote:Is your wife an analyst?

No. I am sorry. Especially here I should have qualified that comment. She just reads a fair amount of books about psychology.
Covert

Postby Hermit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:18 pm

A comparison with prewar Germany is probably a bit hyperbolic. Seems to me like the opening in Japanese culture being filled by American extroversion, which probably isn't so terrible In the sense that a certain amount of energy is necessary to bring the animus into the conscious horizon.

Life changes so that it can place new hurdles in the way. This hurdle seems to me like a platform for feminine self-realization, although I'm sure more than a few will be driven by a power purpose.
Hermit

Postby Hermit » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Covert wrote:Without looking anything up, I will try to state my idea of what a Jungian archetype is. And I confess it might come close to what you mean by a complex. To me an archetype is an undifferentiated idea, which seems to be shared by most people, and which comes into life by virtue of symbols, more than one, referencing it. The idea must embody the feeling of having meaning and can be first identified by a little, or a lot, of numinosity. Since archetypes are inherited they must come from DNA, and thus represent structures that go way back in our ancestry, at least to the swamps, and probably into inorganic, first formed elements of the universe. They are important because they signal our connectedness with fellow man and the universe at large. By mining them as best as we can, we individuate as they become more and more elements of our consciousness and understanding.

The girls in my video enter a man
Hermit

Previous

Return to Current Mythology